Many users of Workday Adaptive Planning utilize OfficeConnect for their Excel reporting. But not all users will have access to OfficeConnect, depending on your organization. But there is another great option for Excel reporting called a Report Template.
What is the difference between OfficeConnect and a Report Template?
Templates are Excel files which can be added to regular reports, including repeating reports. Instead of running an HTML report, you can have a custom Excel report. Below are some nice features, as once you use it, it will become a favorite for reporting.
Report Templates allow:
- Custom formatting data from Adaptive such as background color, font color, and font type.
- Calculations on the data, along with including graphs and notes.
- Use with repeating reports.
- A saved Excel file attached to a report.
- Macros can be added to templates.
Here is a quick tutorial on how to create an Excel report using a report template.
- Locate the Adaptive Planning HTML report which has the data you want for your Excel report.
a. Here is an HTML Report.
b. Locate the report in the Reports screen.
- Right click on the report and choose Run as Excel, and the file will download.
- Open the downloaded Excel file. You will see the Excel data on the first sheet.
a. The report is the same as the report in Step 1 but in Excel.
- On this sheet, you can change fonts, and add conditional formatting, calculations, etc. If you want to add other sheets for more reporting, you can use formulas to reference data on the first sheet.
a. In this example, we have changed fonts style and added conditional formatting for the % Var column.
b. In this example, we added another sheet and created a graph and ratios using formulas to reference the first sheet (report data). You can add multiple sheets to create a customized report or a report book. You can also hide sheets. For example, the Report Info tab Adaptive includes in all excel reports or the first sheet with the data.
- Return to the report in Adaptive Planning.
a. Right click on the same HTML report and select Attach Template.
b. Click Choose File button and select the excel file you just created which has your updated report with formatting, formulas, graphs, etc. Click OK. Once the file is selected click Open.
c. The file icon will change colors from blue to green, so you know the report has been properly attached.
- Run the report and it will automatically download as an Excel file. Your existing report has been generated and has applied all applicable prompts. For example, the month of data will change per the prompt option selected.
You now have an Excel report! And can run it anytime!
The team at Revelwood has been recognized by Adaptive for its thought leadership in the space, commitment to its Adaptive Insights practice, and its rapid achievements of milestones. Visit Revelwood’s Knowledge Center for our Adaptive Insights Tips & Tricks or sign up here to get our Adaptive Insights Tips & Tricks delivered directly to your inbox. Not sure where to start with Adaptive Insights? Our team here at Revelwood can help! Contact us email@example.com for more information.